[MPlayer-users] mplayer black bars and white borders

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Tue Mar 22 21:34:07 CET 2016

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 08:45:29PM +0100, Peter Irbizon wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am running mplayer via my python/bash code like this: mplayer tv:// -tv
> device=/dev/video0 -hardframedrop -fs -fps 25 but I have black bars (see
> red) and white borders (blue rectangle) around my video. *How can I remove
> bars/borders and gain whole picture on the whole screen?*
>
> My screen resolution is 720x576 so I have no idea why picture has black
> bars and white borders around it and picture is smaller in window. I tried
> -zoom, -noborder and -vf crop=720:576:0:0 but whithout any luck.

Cropping to 720x576 hardly will help when the video is already that
size.
It looks like whatever produces the image didn't like that 720x576
is an odd number of macroblocks (45*16 x 35*16) and simply cut it down,
adding a that white and black border on purpose.
So you'll have to crop to 704x560 if you want to get rid of it.