[MPlayer-users] va-api with mplayer on skylake: FATAL: Could not initialize video filters (-vf) or video output (-vo)

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Thu Mar 10 19:19:37 CET 2016

Marc MERLIN <marc_mplayer <at> merlins.org> writes:

> I have va-api working with mplayer on some videos (mp4) and not others:
>
> I use this in my config file:
> vo=vdpau,gl,
> [vo.vdpau]
> vc=ffh264vdpau,ffmpeg12vdpau,ffodivxvdpau,ffwmv3vdpau,ffvc1vdpau,
> # Most video filters do not work with vdpau.
> vf-clr=yes
>
> vainfo
> libva info: VA-API version 0.38.0
> libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
> libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/i965_drv_video.so
> libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_38
> libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
> vainfo: VA-API version: 0.38 (libva 1.0.15)
> vainfo: Driver version: Intel i965 driver for Intel(R) Skylake - 1.6.2
> vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
>       VAProfileMPEG2Simple            :	VAEntrypointVLD
>       VAProfileMPEG2Simple            :	VAEntrypointEncSlice
>       VAProfileMPEG2Main              :	VAEntrypointVLD
>       VAProfileMPEG2Main              :	VAEntrypointEncSlice
>       VAProfileH264Main               :	VAEntrypointVLD
>       VAProfileH264Main               :	VAEntrypointEncSlice
>       VAProfileH264High               :	VAEntrypointVLD
>       VAProfileH264High               :	VAEntrypointEncSlice
>       VAProfileVC1Simple              :	VAEntrypointVLD
>       VAProfileVC1Main                :	VAEntrypointVLD
>       VAProfileVC1Advanced            :	VAEntrypointVLD

I wish I'd understand your mail:
The subject mentions va-api which isn't supported
by MPlayer, your config file correctly references VDPAU
(supported by MPlayer).
You call vainfo instead of vdpauinfo but it tells you
that your hardware / driver combination cannot decode
asp. So you cannot hardware-accelerate decoding of
DX50 (the file you tested it on).

Nvidia hardware (and binary drivers) are able to
decoder asp here.

Sorry, Carl Eugen