[MPlayer-users] use mplayer with slow rtmp stream

john smith wempwer at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 19:44:46 CET 2016

I use rtmpdump to get a livestream I want to put as a screensaver
inside mplayer inside xscreensaver.  The command I use is:

rtmpdump -live -r 'rtmp://cdn-03.whatsupcams.com/live/es_laspalmas3' \
         -W http://www.whatsupcams.com/static/flowplayer/flowplayer.swf \
         -quiet | mplayer -cache 8192 -

The problem is that playback does not start at all but only in a
couple of minutes, instead I get a lot of this:

Cache empty, consider increasing -cache and/or -cache-min. [performance issue]

I read some people suggesting using -o with rtmpdump and just pass an
output filename as a parameter to mplayer in a separate command. I can
do that and playback works but mplayer exits after a couple of seconds
probably because playback is finished. I suppose that root cause is
that download speed that rtmpdump achieves is very poor, slower than
playback speed. Stream in question works very nice in web browser:
http://www.whatsupcams.com/en/webcams/spain/canary-islands/las-palmas-gran-canaria/webcam-live-las-canteras-beach.
tried -nocache but got:

Cannot seek backward in linear streams!
Seek failed

What can be done about this? Ideally I would like mplayer to start
playback as soon as it gets data from rtmpdump, without any pause. Is
this possible?

mplayer version:
MPlayer 1.2.1-4.8.2 (C) 2000-2016 MPlayer Team

rtmpdump version:
RTMPDump v2.4

--
<wempwer at gmail.com>