[MPlayer-users] video does not scale to fullscreen with -vo xv

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun Mar 6 12:27:55 CET 2016

On Sun, Mar 06, 2016 at 12:09:31PM +0100, Tamas Papp wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 06 2016, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> > Which will work not very well either.
> > If it is x11 vo then then also means XVideo is not working (or not
> > compiled in is an option, too).
> > Or if it is using xv, then it is broken.
> > Either way it seems very likely the primary answer is "fix your graphics
> > card drivers first".
> > But yes the actual -v output playing something should confirm.
>
> Thanks for the help. See the -v output below. If this is indeed a
> graphics driver bug, please help me by identifying it and I will check
> if it is reported already, and if not, report it.

I don't know what that hardware is supposed to support, but
it does look fairly broken to me.

> 		  Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_va_gl.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Note that installing that could be worth a try to see if at least VDPAU
works. It is not the cause of your issues, just a potentially
nice work-around.
But if -vo gl works with good performance it should be a good solution
as well.

> 		  [VO_XV] Using Xv Adapter #0 (Intel(R) Video Sprite)

So it uses XVideo. Not sure what capabilities "Video Sprite" implies
though.

> 		  [swscaler @ 0x7fe14b326fa0]bicubic scaler, from yuv420p to yuyv422 using MMXEXT
> 		  VO: [xv] 1280x720 => 1280x720 Packed YUY2

This is already really bad. It means XVideo doesn't support planar 4:2:0
video.
Even -vo gl supports that one fine, so there no good reason for that
IMHO.
It can't be seen from the log, but probably the non-functional
scaling is a bug (or missing feature) of that driver, too.
(I would consider it a bug, as there's no sane reason to implement
and advertise XVideo at all if it can't even do scaling)
Note: xvinfo (a small tool to list information about the
XVideo implementation) might give some useful information, too.