[MPlayer-users] seek causes "squeak" when playing mp3

Thomas Keller thomas.keller8001 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 10:20:44 CEST 2016

when playing an audio files (mp3) in mplayer and when seeking forward
(seek +10) or backward (seek -10), the audio almost always makes an
unpleasant squeak, a very high-frequency noise.

Whenever that happens flowing output is printed (example):

  A:  82.1 (01:22.0) of 4953.0 ( 1:22:33.0)  0.1%
  AO: [alsa] 48000Hz 1ch floatle (4 bytes per sample)

Sometimes (rarely) seek works without squeak, and no output is printed.

This happens with all mp3 files, I have tried at least couple of
hundred. It never happens when playing video.

 1) do other people also experience this problem?
 2) can somebody please explain what is wrong?
 3) and how to fix this ?

Needles to say, this makes mplayer pretty much unusable for playing audio.

I am using following version of mplayer :
MPlayer svn r34540 (Debian), built with gcc-4.7 (C) 2000-2012 MPlayer Team

many thanks,
Thomas