[MPlayer-users] Problem forcing mplayer to use "pulse"

stan RegBur_Flydan8 at q.com
Fri Apr 8 23:23:24 CEST 2016

On Thu, 7 Apr 2016 16:59:08 -0700
David Shochat <david.shochat at gmail.com> wrote:

> Notice that
> the test code the configure script uses to check for pulse audio
> support starts out with: #include <pulse/pulseaudio.h>
> On my system, that include file is provided by the package named
> above. -- David

In Fedora, that file is provided by pulseaudio-libs-devel.

Also, in Fedora, the system defaults to using pulse, since alsa is
automatically routed through pulseaudio.  So, anything sent to alsa,
including output from mplayer, will be sent to pulseaudio.  However,
that doesn't allow access to the other features of pulseaudio, which
compiling with pulse will do, if the application supports those
features.

You should install the pavucontrol (fedora package name) application,
which is a graphical means of configuring pulseaudio.  You can use it to
confirm how you have pulseaudio configured, and make changes.