[MPlayer-users] Objectionable yadif haloing with certain top crop parameters

Andy Furniss adf.lists at gmail.com
Fri May 8 12:24:50 CEST 2015

mplayer-list at media.mit.edu wrote:
> tl;dr:  "mplayer -vf yadif" produces terrible results when an even
> but non-multiple-of-4 number of scanlines are cropped off the top.

If you are capping 420 weaved interlaced then you should only crop in
chunks of four (and 2 off top and bottom won't work). That's just the
the way 420 interlaced is as you have found.

As you are capping NTSC I guess it would be possible to tell card/v4l to
cap as 422 and then crop - still 4 but I expect 2 off bottom and top
would then be possible.

You would then need to convert to 420 using say ffmpeg and you must tell
it that it's interlaced or it will still be messed up in a different way.

untested but something like -

-vf scale=interl=1,format=pix_fmts=yuv420p

I don't know handbrake so can't say how to do with that.