[MPlayer-users] VDPAU missing out on AMD

Andy Furniss adf.lists at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 11:41:40 CET 2015

Mikus Grinbergs wrote:
> I wanted to use hardware acceleration (playback) with an AMD video
> card, but I'm stymied.  My system runs 32-bit Fedora 23 with a Radeon
> HD 7770. The DRI2 driver is 'radeonsi'.
>
> It's difficult to assemble information abut AMD video acceleration.
> I've installed all the packages I've seen mentioned in conjunction
> with AMD acceleration, such as 'mesa-vdpau'.
>
> Information on "What is needed to have MPlayer use video
> acceleration" isn't in one easy-to-understand place.  The main thing
> seems to be '-vo vdpau' to specify the "what" and '-vc ff...vdpau' to
> specify the "how".

vdpauinfo

should show you if your setup is OK, your card won't do hevc.

> What does surprise me is MPlayer telling me (on demanding videos):
> "Your system is too SLOW to play this!"  With my multi-core CPU at
> 3+GHz, and putting in 'threads=6', I would have thought I wasn't
> slow.

-lavdopts threads=6

On some cpus cpufreq ondemand can cause the "too slow". I don't use
distros, maybe there is some gui way to set perf if not assuming you are
using cpufreq of course you can for all cpus you have do -

echo performance >  /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

repeat with cpu1 etc

to turn back down

echo ondemand > ...