[MPlayer-users] Playing (one large) WAV/MP3/... and a corresponding .cue-sheet?

Christian ctschmidt at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 11:55:34 CEST 2015

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 9:28 AM, Ingo Brückl <ib at wupperonline.de> wrote:
> So no reason to not rip to bin instead of wav.

Except that I have no known way of converting bin/cue to MP3 (besides
maybe having a completed rip, then "mounting" that rip somehow, bit
that won't let me play it while I rip it.

>> If the CD is new, ie. hasn't been ripped yet, rip it and play it back
>> at the same time.
>
> Is it possible to play the CD with mplayer cdda:// while ripping and
> encoding?
Technically yes, but it stutters enormously as the CDROM has to jump
back and forth all the time in increasingly larger steps as playing is
slower then ripping.

>> Once the rip is down, encode it to mp3. Once playing is done, delete the
>> WAV. Eject the CD.
>
> So you delete the rip? How can you play it then?
I keep the WAV for as long as a) the encoding to mp3 goes on and b)
for as long at it is played "for the first time", ie. for the duration
of the playback-while-ripping-and-encoding phase.