[MPlayer-users] Windows binary proprietary codec

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sat Aug 8 19:02:45 CEST 2015

On Fri, Aug 07, 2015 at 12:25:48PM +0200, Fernandon Bautista wrote:
> 2) Compile 32 bit mplayer:

I have a local hack I never finished that uses only
a 32 bit stub, in case that 32 bit MPlayer is an annoyance.
That stub can also be compiled as a Windows program to
be run via wine (actually that's the only way currently,
I haven't fixed it to support our loader).
It needs significant cleanup though, but if you might
consider going to that level of effort I can send it out.

> Called unk_InitializeSecurityDescriptor
>
> I understand that there is not implementation of the
> InitializeSecurityDescriptor function. I took a look to the code and I
> understood that you grabbed some Wine code to emulate/fake system calls .

We actually don't emulate any system calls to my knowledge, only library
calls.

> want to fix these and I was wondering if there is any doc or guidelines
> for  doing it.

Not really.
Your starting point would be loader/win32.c
For this function, exp_advapi32 array.
Then mostly try a copy-paste of an existing function like RegCloseKey
(just search for all occurrences of that string), most importantly
adjust the function signature to match the real thing
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa378863%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
and find out the least effort way to "implement" it that
makes the codec happy.
In that case I'd start by just returning 0 (i.e. error), and
hope they used the "just keep going when things go wrong"
strategy of error handling.
Alternatively and even simpler, hope they designed the codec
to work on win9x and use the UNDEFF macro instead.
Instead of providing a fake emulation, that one says "no,
that function does not exist", which would be like on
win9x.