[MPlayer-users] Feeding a video-only elemental stream (.264?) into mplayer via stdin?

Chris Markle cmarkle at asperasoft.com
Thu Aug 6 07:22:18 CEST 2015

Folks,

Just trying to see here if something ought to be possible before
trying lots of work to actually try it...

Say I have a video-only elemental stream being created in real-time.
(Not being completely familiar with terminology here by "video-only
elemental stream" I mean the H.264 annex b form where the NALU's in
the stream are demarcated by hex strings like 0x00000001 or 0x000001.
It's just that, no container or anything else. I believe some people
refer to this as having a ".264" file type.) If I can get that stream
to come out as stdout from some program, can I pipe it in to mplayer
stdin and play it (in real time while it's being created)?

If so, can I get some hints as to how specifically to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Chris