[MPlayer-users] Acceleration works in xbmc, not in mplayer

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Wed Sep 10 21:06:37 CEST 2014

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 08:56:53PM +0200, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 07:35:30AM -0700, Grant wrote:
> > I upgraded from libvdpau-va-gl-0.3.4 to the live version from git and
> > now it's working!  It looks like I can only decode H264:
> >
> > Decoder capabilities:
> > name               level macbs width height
> > H264_BASELINE        51 16384  2048  2048
> > H264_MAIN            51 16384  2048  2048
> > H264_HIGH            51 16384  2048  2048
> >
> > Is that a hardware or software limitation?  If software, which package
> > should I watch for new codec capabilities?
>
> Is that vdpauinfo or vainfo output?
> If these differ, then then the limitation is in libvdpau-va-gl
> If vainfo also only reports H.264 then it's a limitation in Mesa
> (which might be due to the hardware limited to that).
> Though either way, my question would be: what else would you
> expect/need? Most other formats should be fine without hardware
> acceleration, at least if you enable threads.

It seems the other formats supported are MPEG-2, JPEG, and VC-1.
JPEG acceleration we cannot use anyway, MPEG-2 should be useless
speed-wise.
VC-1 can be relevant if you want to play BluRays, however it
is more lightweight than H.264 so I still think you should
manage just fine with CPU-only.
Though for a bit less fan noise you might ask the va_gl developers
about adding support, this seems to clearly say that they only
added H.264:
https://github.com/i-rinat/libvdpau-va-gl/blob/master/src/api-video-decoder.c
Though as said, the reason is probably that it's the only
format they considered necessary, so you might need
some convincing arguments as why other formats should be added.