[MPlayer-users] [AO OSS] audio_setup: Can't open audio device /dev/dsp: No such file or directory

Jim Cross jimgcross at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 15:17:50 CET 2014

Hi Erik, many thanks for the prompt reply - and that's the answer! Saved me
waiting around for four hours :) (lots of beer 4 u)

The answer being the config file.... However...
The previous (and old) MPlayer ver I had installed using 'sudo apt-get -y
install mplayer'. This appears to pickup the web server created user
'www-data' and I believe MPlayer auto created the .mplayer dir in
'/var/www/' (with an empty conf).
The 'however', the new ver (using svn and make)  probably doesn't?
Part of my build is to set the conf file in this dir (/var/www/.mplayer,
with 'ao=alsa,pulse,sdl:aalib' - as it appeared to be working I didn't
look any further until you mentioned the conf file - THANKS.
Although I can edit the 'installed mplayer' user 'pi' conf file (~/.mplayer
- and obviously it works), my preference is to control files in the web
server users directory (/var/www/). Is there a way to get mplayer to pickup
the www-data users dir /var/www/ and register the .mplayer dir there?
(I know I can edit mplayers global file but don't want to do that either...)