[MPlayer-users] [AO OSS] audio_setup: Can't open audio device /dev/dsp: No such file or directory

Jim Cross jimgcross at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 14:13:10 CET 2014

Feeling bad to ask yet another question....

But before I undertake another 'config' and 'make' which takes around three
to four hours to complete, I wanted to get some feedback first, just in
cast another compile does not work.

I rebuilt from scratch both debian and mplayer but did not include 'sudo
apt-get install alsa-oss' as it was not clear if needed or not.

Although I don't appear to have a problem playing audio streams, I noticed
the following:

Start MPlayer with:
mplayer -slave -novideo -cache 320 -cache-min 0 -quiet -volume 60
-key-fifo-size 2 -input file=/run/shm/mpcontrol -idle

When playing streams such as:
echo 'loadlist http://dir.xiph.org/listen/1582676/listen.m3u' >>
/run/shm/mpcontrol

Get MPlayer message - stream does play OK:
[AO OSS] audio_setup: Can't open audio device /dev/dsp: No such file or
directory
AO: [alsa] 44100Hz 2ch floatle (4 bytes per sample)
Video: no video
Starting playback...

I think my question is: To clear up the "[AO OSS] audio_setup: Can't open
audio device /dev/dsp: No such file or directory" message, would (or
should) the following work...?:

$ sudo apt-get install alsa-oss
$ ./configure
$ make