[MPlayer-users] Getting audio out of mplayer on Android

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Mon Oct 27 01:55:43 CET 2014

I'm trying to get mplayer to play DVDs on my Android "TV stick".

I have mplayer's video output working (outputting to fbdev), but can't
get a sound.  The problem seems to be that when mplayer tries to open
the audio device (using ALSA) it gets told that the device is busy
because it's already used by the Android "mediaserver" process.

So to get sounds, I need mplayer to send its audio samples to Android's
mediaserver (which apparently uses an API called AudioFlinger).

Is there a corresponding "audio output" plugin for it?
If not, does anyone know of some potentially round-about way to get it
working (e.g. using some network audio protocol)?

        Stefan