[MPlayer-users] Buffering previous as well as next?

Dan Stromberg dstromberglists at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 00:19:53 CEST 2014

I often play movies over a slow sshfs using mplayer.

To deal with the slowness and jitter, I ask mplayer to buffer the movie,
like:
mplayer -sid 0 -osdlevel 3 -ao sdl -vo x11 -fs -zoom -cache $((512*1024))
-cache-min 12  "movie.mkv"

This works great as long as I never want to skip backward a little bit to
see something again.  If I do skip backward, it takes 10's of minutes to
get back to performing reasonably.  Once mplayer adapts to my having
skipped backward a little bit, it's responsive again both forward and
backward as long as I don't skip too far.

Is there some option I can specify that will make mplayer keep some of the
already-played movie buffered, as well as some of the soon-to-be-played
movie that it's already doing?

Thanks!