[MPlayer-users] AutoDetect aspect ratio

David Thatcher dthatcher7 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 20:10:57 CET 2014

Greetings,

I created an Xubuntu image that launches MPlayer to play a video on
startup. I went to deploy it and the screen resolution was 4:3, so the wide
aspect video displayed with black bars at the top and bottom. I was able to
solve this by setting -aspect 4:3 in the mplayer options. The question is,
I am going to be deploying to a variety of different screens and I want
MPlayer to force whatever aspect ratio is represented by whatever screen
resolution is currently set. If I leave -aspect 4:3 on a wide screen, I get
black bars on the side. I am very much trying to avoid editing the launch
script on each machine.
Or... given that what I am going after is for MPlayer to run the video in
such a way as to not leave the black bars regardless of screen resolution,
is there a better command line option to use?
Thanks in advance,

David