[MPlayer-users] LAVC can't find libfaac

Ambarish Sridharanarayanan ambarish at ksharanam.net
Sun Nov 16 21:50:10 CET 2014

On Fedora 20, running mencoder-1.1-22.20140414svn, ​I'm trying to reencode a video with some filters. I'd like to use the AAC audio codec. My first attempt was:

	mencoder -vf ... input.mp4 -ovc x264 -of lavf -o output.mp4 -oac faac

Unfortunately, mencoder couldn't find the faac audio-codec, so I had to recompile from source --with faac. I tried again, and this time I got a number of encoding errors like so:

	[mp4 @ 0xb6d361e0]Malformed AAC bitstream detected: use audio bitstream filter 'aac_adtstoasc' to fix it ('-bsf:a aac_adtstoasc' option with ffmpeg)
	Error while writing frame.

And sure enough, the result file was corrupt. I found this promising thread on this list:

http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mencoder-users/2013-August/013395.html

The only resolution OP had was to use the lavc audio-codec passing in faac to it, like so:

	-oac lavc -lavcopts acodec=libfaac:aglobal=64

This gave me the following error message:

	Audio LAVC, couldn't find encoder for codec libfaac.

I've even tried looking at mplayer's ./configure script: it has 2 flags, _faac and _faac_lavc, both autodetected to true on my system. Any ideas on how I can either get the faac codec to generate a valid file or the lavf codec to recognise libfaac?

Thanks!