[MPlayer-users] No CSS keys if VOB file name specified ????

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sat May 31 15:17:05 CEST 2014

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 02:54:27PM -0400, Sean Darcy wrote:
> I'm trying to convert vob's to mpg's.
>
> When I use dvd://1 libdvdread gets the CSS keys:

[...]
> But I don't want all of track 1, but if specify a VOB, it doesn't get the
> key:

The VOB is just a MPEG-PS file, MEncoder can't know it is encrypted.
Even if it know that, dvdcss does not support decrypting plain files (it
isn't really intended to work that way from the DVD specification side
anyway).
If you want to copy only parts, consider using -chapters, -endpos etc.
options.
If you want to decrypt just the vob, use tools designed for the purpose
like e.g. vobcopy.
Remuxing with mencoder just to remove the CSS protection isn't a good
idea, it needlessly risks breaking things (e.g. since you don't use -noskip
your commands will often result in broken video).