[MPlayer-users] Audio click when speed changed

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun May 18 10:08:29 CEST 2014

On Sat, May 17, 2014 at 09:19:09PM -0500, Chris Crochet wrote:
> * You do NOT need my custom player or any other frontend to replicate this
> issue.  Run MPlayer from the command line, then rapidly and alternately
> press [ and ] to hear the clicking.

Sorry, I just can't hear it.
You should always provide full command-line and full MPlayer output.
It might be caused by some other audio filters you are using.

> * It occurs regardless of whether the scaletempo filter is enabled or not.

Well, I can offer a patch for scaletempo to resolve a theoretical
problem, but as said I can't hear anything that could be called a
"click".

> * Interestingly, it occurs even if the command results in no actual change
> in speed.  Even sending "speed_set 1" repeatedly will generate the clicks.

That is not surprising. We don't special-case the "no speed change"
case.

> * It occurs with both the dsound and win32 audio output drivers; I have not
> tested others.

I have only tested ALSA on Linux though.