[MPlayer-users] vaapi support in mplayer.

Christian Dysthe cdysthe at gmail.com
Mon May 12 22:52:41 CEST 2014

On Mon, 2014-05-12 at 22:13 +0200, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> On 12.05.2014, at 20:18, Christian Dysthe <cdysthe at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am using SMPlayer with mplayer in Ubuntu as my main media player and
> > it works great. A know-it-all friend of mine asked whether the player
> > support vaapi since I have a Intel 4000 graphics on my laptop. I looked
> > into it and mplayer does not support vaapi.
>
> It kind of does via libva-gl which translates VDPAU to vaapi.

How do I make sure that is working?

> > My friend then told me to
> > use VLC since that player does have vaapi support, but he could not tell
> > me how much better playback would be. I am currently using Intel
> > Textured Video (xv) output and playback quality is great without tearing
> > or any other problems. Am I missing out in playback quality by not
> > having vaapi support and am I using the best output option by using
> > Intel Textured Vido (xv)?
>
> There is no quality difference in the video, there is only one way to decode H.264.
> With streams or other sources that might contain errors you would probably get worse quality.
> The only purpose of vaapi etc. is to reduce CPU and energy usage.
> For low-resolution videos you can get better quality of subtitles by using e.g. -vo gl or vdpau.

I did some tests and there wasn't much difference between VLC and
SMPlayer on this i7 laptop with Intel 4000 graphics. For some reason I
think SMPlayer has crisper video rendering than VLC, but that may just
be me not being able to judge the difference.

//Christian
Dropbox. Your files from anywhere: http://db.tt/U8MqkVR