[MPlayer-users] Which GUI skin are you using?

houghi houghi at houghi.org
Thu Mar 6 19:27:37 CET 2014

On Thu, Mar 06, 2014 at 11:41:15AM +0100, Ingo Brückl wrote:
> There will be some internal changes with GUI skins soon, and although
> compatibility won't be broken, I'd like to update all skins in use.
>
> So, if you are a GUI user, which skin are you using?

Please understand that below will be my personal view. In no way do I
intend to break down other peoples view of beauty.

gmplayer and smplayer. Default skins that come with it on openSUSE 13.1
and Debian Lenny. I run XFCE4.

Not running fmplayer at the moment, but it is the one with the 'rounded
blue' skin, which I do not like.

The reason is that it is not in sync with the rest of the programs. To me
a round program wastes desktop space as it still uses up everything in a
square.

I used to look for alternative skins, but I was fed up with doing that with
each install. That is the reason I rather use smplayer as that gives me
much more function over form. I just could not be bothered to try to
remember the name of the skin I liked.

As a result a third way that I run mplayer is not via GUI but via a self
made interface via a webbrowser using slave mode and bash. I even have
made my own program via TCL/tk and zenity and yad. All so I could avoid
the ugly default gmplayer skin.

Look at TVs. Where they used to have a lot of buttons and information
around the screen, this is not the case anymore. I rather use my display
for the movie and not the skin. I rather have the 'skin' pop up in my
screen like in XMBC and not have it on the 'outside'. Have it popup like
in fullscreen, even when not in fullscreen. And that as default.

houghi
--
This is written under the inluence of the following: