[MPlayer-users] small feature request: add git

Roger Pack rogerdpack2 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 23:41:05 CET 2014

On 12/19/13, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:
> Roger Pack <rogerdpack2 <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> > that it could use git submodules and thus be able to
>> > "freeze" the ffmpeg dir to certain "known working"
>> > revisions.  Then it would always compile instead of
>> > allowing ffmpeg to (at times) break it.
>>
>> Or possibly add a file that indicates a known working
>> revision of ffmpeg for that version of mplayer.
>
> Could you explain what problem either of these "solutions"
> would fix and particularly how it would fix them?

The typical problem that occurs is this.
I have some (patched) version of mplayer that I know works.  I save
off my diff and the SVN revision number.

Then a few months later, I think "shoot I need to test that on this
other platform" so I go to the new platform, plunk down my source, and
try and get a working build, and...it doesn't work, since ffmpeg's
version has since changed in a way that breaks the old one.  So now I
have to go back to a working build environment (if I still have it)
and try and figure out which ffmpeg version matched at the time...I
suppose I could try to checkout from ffmpeg based on timestamp, but
that would require git fu beyond my knowledge.  Unfortunately I've run
into this particular frustration on several occasions, so it does
occur "out there in the wild."
HTH.
Cheers!
-roger-