[MPlayer-users] Audio sync issues with -udp-master/slave

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Mon Feb 3 08:22:21 CET 2014

On 03.02.2014, at 00:56, "F. A. Nnt" <fannt at web.de> wrote:

>>> The udp-sync-feature is not meant to syncronize audio.
>
> Okay, good to know. For anybody who will come here in the future with a
> similar problem, I use 4 Raspberry Pis now, one as master without using
> the audio output, and the three others as slaves. It seems that about
> 70% of the sync errors regard all of the slaves simultaneously, so I get
> less time differences, but it's still not an optimal solution. For me
> it's okay.

Part of the reason to not handle audio (besides it being tricky) is that to my knowledge there exist solutions.
Sound servers like pulsaudio should be able to send sound to other clients, jack can synchronize different audio streams, ...
Not sure any would work for your use-case.
And there is a last reason: audio is normally played based on a quartz reference clock, so it should stay in sync all by itself for a long time. So I actually wonder why you have such issues.
It might be that the UDP-sync code by accident actually breaks something in the audio code.