[MPlayer-users] Audio sync issues with -udp-master/slave

Oliver Seitz info at vtnd.de
Sun Feb 2 10:14:05 CET 2014

> for a recent project I have to play three different audio files
> synchronized to each other on three devices (each Raspberry Pi),
> connected by wireless LAN.

The udp-sync-feature is not meant to syncronize audio.

The typical usage is a master which plays audio and video, and one or
more slaves wich play video only.

Keeping sync on audio files is a whole different story than video. If a
video frame is 10 milliseconds early or late, noone will ever notice. If
audio samples are 10 *microseconds* early or late, that can make a real
noticeable difference. With audio, you cannot speed up or slow down the
playback speed unnoticed, and you also cannot drop or fill in extra
samples. All of that could be audible.

So, I'm sorry to tell you that in my opinion mplayer is not the right
tool to reach your goals. And I can't tell you which software is.

Greets,
Kiste