[MPlayer-users] -noconsolecontrols ignored in slave mode

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Wed Dec 31 19:12:56 CET 2014

On 31.12.2014, at 11:00, luc.linux at mailoo.org wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 10:45:22AM +0100, Nicolas George wrote:
>> Well, of course the slave mode is trying to read from stdin: that is exactly
>> what it is for:
>>
>> "Instead of intercepting keyboard events, MPlayer will read commands
>> separated by a newline (\n) from stdin."
>>
>> If you do not want MPlayer to read from stdin, just do not add -slave. It
>> does not make any sense otherwise.
>>
>> What is your final goal?
> I am trying to get mplayer to read instruction from a fifo file (which
> is why I have the `-input file=` argument) while receiving a stream to
> play from stdin. I know I could just create another fifo file, make
> mplayer read from it and send the stream to it, but it would make my
> script much more complicated (because I would have to track every
> process created to make sure they all finish when the script is
> terminated).
>
> At least I think there should be an hint in the documentation saying
> that noconsolecontrols is ignored when mplayer is in slave mode, even
> when there is another input stream to read from, because I am not the
> first to be surprised by this behaviour [1][2].

Hm, I am not sure this has been thought through properly.
Can anyone think of a case where the current behaviour would be desirable?
Otherwise I think I'd favour changing the behaviour to give -noconsolecontrols priority.
On e.g. Linux you can also get the old behaviour back via -input file=/dev/stdin I think (haven't tested, us trying to open read+write might cause issues).