[MPlayer-users] Success! SSL Support (HTTPS) in mplayer

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sat Dec 27 17:07:18 CET 2014

On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 03:21:06PM -0800, paipai v.tu wrote:
> Two messages on the command line:
>
> "Warning unknown option fm at line 4"
> (not streaming-related?)

Should be something in your .mplayer/config or so it doesn't like.

> "Using network protocols without global network initialization. Please use avformat_network_init(), this will become mandatory later."
>
> ---
>
> Plays flawlessly (for the moment, judging from the second message).

That has been around for a while. But yes, "somewhen" it will have to
change, though I don't like the idea that everyone using FFmpeg
needs to either always initialize networking or guess beforehand
if a URL involves network code or not (how should that be possible
e.g. in case of playlists).
So in short, I think this message is due to a complete misdesign on
FFmpeg's part, which demotivates me to "fix" it.

> Perhaps worthy of note: I had to make quite a few modifications to libmng
> (header file inclusion mainly) in the source code, and post-installation
> as well. Odd that the libmng code was in need of editing before it
> would run.

It would be interesting to know details. libmng is something "nobody"
actually needs, so if it causes issues we should be more conservative
in enabling it.

> Also, it could be useful to explicitly mention that gnutls is required
> rather than openssl.

Where would be a good place? I don't think we actually document SSL
support at all so far...
Configure only mentions gnutls.
Though maybe we should change the printout for say (for SSL) as not
everyone knows that GnuTLS is related to SSL support.
Just to explain: OpenSSL isn't really an option as its license is
GPL-incompatible (though there are some arguments whether it really
is an issue on Linux at least).