[MPlayer-users] SSL Support (HTTPS) in mplayer

wm4 nfxjfg at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 17 07:00:12 CET 2014

On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 21:39:34 -0800
paipai von <paipaiv at inbox.com> wrote:

> And yet, mplayer installs without any problems.
>
> Your configure script was broken. Thankfully, someone
> actually bothered to fix it after the others tried
> to argue with me instead of bothering to look
> at your poorly maintained code.

It was myself who fixed it (even though it makes configure run slightly
slower for users with modern software). Be a bit more careful with your
wild accusations.

> After I upgraded my compiler (which wasn't the problem
> in the first place), all I heard were more excuses rather
> than attempts to make the software work. Egotistical
> software writers who lack the basic curiosity to even
> look at their code before (wrongly) blaming the user?
> Not software I would want on my system, however old or new
> it may be.
>
> My advice to everyone from here on will definitely be to
> stick with mplayer and/or ditch mpv as soon as possible.
> And if mpv doesn't compile on the first try, don't waste
> your time. All you'll get is more egotistical arguing
> from people who couldn't be bothered to write quality software.
>
> Stay away from mpv, or take your chances. Beware.

Well, at least you're plain insulting now (in other places too). I feel
sorry for the mplayer project to have to deal with such a user, but at
least I won't.

One thing about all this garbage nonsense you wrote though: it's not a
quality sign of software to support ancient software environments. You
sound like a Windows XP user who plans to stick with it forever, and
blames anyone who drops XP support.

Anyway, certainly offtopic on this list.