[MPlayer-users] SSL Support (HTTPS) in mplayer

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Tue Dec 16 22:54:51 CET 2014

Hello,

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 01:14:49PM -0800, paipai von wrote:
> I just spent way too long trying to get
> mpv to do what mplayer can do easily.
>
> That is, to install and run properly.
>
> I wanted to install mpv because mplayer
> doesn't support SSL. Or at least, not
> that I'm aware of. But mpv doesn't run
> at all, so I suppose mplayer wins...
>
> Question: is there a way to enable SSL
> (HTTPS) streaming in mplayer? If so, how?
> And if not, is there some way to make SSL
> work, even though it's not "official" yet?

There were some detail issues with detecting
SSL libraries, but with latest SVN I think
it is supposed to "just work".
I believe both me and Alexander fixed the last
issues and tested it, so I think it should
work fine.
It might be worth trying "ffmpeg://https://"
instead of just "https://" as in certain cases
that might even work with older MPlayer versions
(I think).