[MPlayer-users] Flicker Black Bars on videos

X3fil xefil at xefil.com
Wed Aug 27 15:35:49 CEST 2014

Hello to all!

I'm using mplayer within an application (XBMC) to play videos.
Launching the player, the video starts smooth in fullscreen, but the black bars (video 16/9) are
flicker a lot showing the application behind. You can see here an example of the result. You'll see
the clock and the menu behind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwJRKRL8AgM

The video is executed using following line:

mplayer -fs -vo vdpau -vc ffmpeg12vdpau,ffh264vdpau <video>

The system is a BananaPI board on Lubuntu 14.04:

CPU: Allwinner A20 ARM® Cortex™-A7 Dual-Core
GPU: ARM Mali400MP2 Complies with OpenGL ES 2.0/1.1
Memory (SDRAM): 1GB DDR3 (shared with GPU)

To play it in HW mode, I've compiled the vdpau-sunxi (cedar).

In addiction, subtitles are not shown. To show it, I need to use mpv with parameter
"--force-rgba-osd-rendering". This is not a priority at the moment. With mplayer I got:

[vdpau] EOSD: error when creating surface: An invalid/unsupported VdpRGBAFormat value was supplied.

The vdpau video output is using framebuffer to show the video. Has it something to do? How can I
troubleshoot and solve this issue? (I mean mainly the black bars issue)

Some notes:
1. Using the player from command-line, it works.
2. Using another player, like vlc, from XBMC, it works (black bars are correct), but not fluid as
mplayer. I would like to use mplayer.

Thanks for the support!

Version in use:
root at my-system:~# mplayer
MPlayer2 2.0-701-gd4c5b7f-2ubuntu2 (C) 2000-2012 MPlayer Team

Simon