[MPlayer-users] Blu-ray and MPlayer

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Wed Aug 13 21:48:52 CEST 2014

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 07:29:27PM +0200, Ingo Brückl wrote:
> Having only experience with DVD so far I'm curious how Blu-ray work with
> MPlayer (considering DRM and such). Is there a noticeable difference to
> DVD usage?

Yes, you need either the key for the specific BluRay,
or a non-revoked host certificate.
http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name/ has one, but it is revoked.
As soon as you put a BluRay more recent than start of this year
or so in your drive, you will no longer be able to decrypt
_any_ BluRays, except for those you explicitly know the keys of.
Stupidly and contrary to any sensible definition of the word
"cache", the libbluray developers decided to put the decryption
keys into ~/.cache, so if you want to ensure you'll always be able
to play your BluRays you now have to make sure to include ~/.cache
in your backups (which is of course defeating the whole point of
why ~/.cache was introduced. Keep that in mind as in example for why
I get a bit grumpy when someone suggests I should go to the effort to make
MPlayer follow those xdg guidelines).