[MPlayer-users] scanlines/telecine/interlaced lines while watching fast actions?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Mon Aug 11 20:51:20 CEST 2014

On Tue, Aug 05, 2014 at 02:23:05AM -0700, Yang wrote:
> when I play this DVD, whenever the scene changes fast ( a person waving a
> hand), it starts to show interlaced lines/scanlines on the fast-moving
> parts ( please see an example in the attached image)
>
> what is this symptom called? how could I fix it?

It is called interlacing.

> playing this DVD with a regular home DVD player, or playing it on windows
>  both work fine, but not on linux

For the DVD player, it is probably solved by sending an interlaced
stream to the TV/display and letting it deal with it.
That should be possible, but quite painful to do on Linux.
The other option is to enable deinterlacing.
One way is to use -vo vdpau with its deint option.
Another is to use e.g. -vf yadif
If only speed matters, just reducing the horizontal
resolution by half via e.g. -vf field
For NTSC content, a better solution often is inverse telecine,
as it can 100% restore the original content.
This is also supported by VDPAU (at least some implementations of it),
-vf ivtc is one example of a filter doing it.
However I do not have enough experience with that to recommend anything.