[MPlayer-users] Can mplayer bitstream HD audio (DTS DH MA/Dolby TrueHD) over HDMI?

Sun Apr 6 12:23:26 CEST 2014

Hi Julian Sikorski!

 On 2014.04.06 at 09:39:52 +0200, Julian Sikorski wrote next:

> > is mplayer capable of bitstreaming HD audio over HDMI?I was trying to
>
> I have now tried -afm spdif which does not work either:

According to documentation, you're supposed to use -afm hwac3/hwdts:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/advaudio-surround.html

(how are you supposed to transfer HD audio over spdif anyway when it's
not possible? or "spdif" is misleading here? Hmm)

Anyhow maybe you should try mpv. It has --ad-spdif-dtshd=yes option to
pass-through DTS-HD tracks over HDMI, not sure what you're supposed to
do with DD TrueHD and DD+ (never seen DD+ in the wild, though..).

Then again, ffmpeg decodes DD TrueHD so when mplayer sends multichannel
stream over hdmi you aren't losing much, except for "DD" logo
on your receiver and one or two speaker. As for DD+, well, I've never
seen it "in the wild" myself, not sure if movie industry decided to use
it at all..

According to documentation, DTS HD passthrough is broken, though :(

 --ad-spdif-dtshd=<yes|no>

    When using DTS passthrough, output any DTS-HD track as-is. With
    ad-spdif-dtshd=no (the default), only the DTS Core parts will be
    output.

    DTS-HD tracks can be sent over HDMI but not over the original
    coax/toslink S/PDIF system.

    Note: this feature is broken.

PS Is it possible to use HDMI audio in linux with catalyst
drivers, or only opensource drivers support it? Googled a bit but found
information only about opensource driver, which doesn't quite work for
me. I have a capable receiver connected over HDMI but I'm only
transferring video over it, when using it.
*sigh* I had to build windows-based HTPC to get all the nice features
like audio passthrough, refresh rate synced to video and high-quality
chroma upscaling with madVR in my home theater system, not to mention
proper blu-ray playback :(

--

Vladimir