[MPlayer-users] How do I debug this one? mplayer ftp problem

houghi houghi at houghi.org
Mon Sep 30 19:59:03 CEST 2013

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 06:23:07PM +0100, Dave Saville wrote:
> A little background. I have a Topfield 5800 PVR. It is front ended
> by an Asus NSLU2 which makes the Topfield accessible from the LAN
> via FTP. The Topfield's files are ".rec" but are actually a
> transport stream. Mplayer has no problem playing them thus:
>
> mplayer ftp://foo:bar@slug/DataFiles/some_recording.rec
>
> I recently bought a Raspberry Pi and tried to do the same. The Pi
> has the latest Raspbian OS and the latest mplayer for that platform.
> MPlayer svn r34540 (Debian), built with gcc-4.6 (C) 2000-2012
> MPlayer Team

Here is what I would do:
1) Post the commandline AND the output, even if it stops halfway
2) Be sure the file I want to play, plays localy
3) Try to get to the file in a differnt way. e.g. mounting it over ssh
with sshfs
4) FTP to it and see if there are any other problems using 'normal' ftp.

houghi
--
"Unix never says 'please'."
					--Rob Pike