[MPlayer-users] Inverse Telecine and JPEG Extraction

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sun Sep 29 09:46:02 CEST 2013

James Board <jpboard2 <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> This is the command I'm using:
>
>  mencoder IN.avi -nosound -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=ffvhuff
> -vf filmdint -ofps 24000/1001 -o OUT.avi
> -of lavf -lavfopts format=image2 -o ffmpeg://dummy://OUT%4d.png

Please report on ffmpeg-user if the following does not work:
ffmpeg -i IN.avi -vf pullup,fps=24000/1001,split[a][b] \
-vc ffvhuff -map [a] OUT.avi -map [b] OUT%4d.png

You can also use fieldmatch, it may produce better results
but is slower.

If filmdint is better for your source file than pullup,
consider providing the sample (actually the same if
fieldmatch is better than pullup).

I should add that your command line will not extract jpgs
but pngs, if you want jpgs, edit the second output file name.

Considering that you in the past have requested "frame
accuracy" (maybe I misunderstood): I believe that it is an
unavoidable characteristic of an inverse telecine filter
(used on real-world input!) that it is not "frame-accurate"
in the sense that I believe you requested it in past mails:
Input movies will have static parts (black frames) that
cannot be inverse telecined, frames will just be dropped.
(I originally had -vsync 0 in the command line above, but
it makes no sense together with pullup afaict.)

Carl Eugen