[MPlayer-users] My cropping question revisited.

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Sep 29 01:01:27 CEST 2013

On Saturday 28 September 2013 18:50:43 Erik Auerswald did opine:

> Hi Gene,
>
> On 09/28/2013 11:01 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Now mplayer, with an eye toward using its clip/crop functions as the
> > first stage of all this folderol.  From a terminal session, "ssh -Y
> > shop" =================
> > gene at shop:~/linuxcnc/nc_files$ mplayer /dev/video0
>
> You might want to try 'mplayer tv://'.
>
> HTH,
> Erik

Mmmm, possibly.  Its gotten dark, the wife took the camera in and laid it
on the Y motor of the mill and closed the door about half an hour ago.

I left it running, showing a black screen, for perhaps 30 seconds, logging
this in the terminal window:  Long trace though.

 gene at shop:~/src$ mplayer tv://
MPlayer SVN-r1.0~rc3+svn20090426-4.4.3 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote
control.

Playing tv://.
TV file format detected.
Selected driver: v4l2
 name: Video 4 Linux 2 input
 author: Martin Olschewski <olschewski at zpr.uni-koeln.de>
 comment: first try, more to come ;-)
v4l2: your device driver does not support VIDIOC_G_STD ioctl, VIDIOC_G_PARM
was used instead.
Selected device: HD Pro Webcam C920
 Capabilites:  video capture  streaming
 supported norms:
 inputs: 0 = Camera 1;
 Current input: 0
 Current format: MJPEG
v4l2: ioctl set format failed: Invalid argument
v4l2: ioctl set format failed: Invalid argument
v4l2: ioctl set format failed: Invalid argument
tv.c: norm_from_string(pal): Bogus norm parameter, setting default.
v4l2: ioctl enum norm failed: Invalid argument
Error: Cannot set norm!
Selected input hasn't got a tuner!
v4l2: ioctl set mute failed: Invalid argument
v4l2: ioctl query control failed: Invalid argument
open: No such file or directory
[MGA] Couldn't open: /dev/mga_vid
open: No such file or directory
[MGA] Couldn't open: /dev/mga_vid
[VO_TDFXFB] This driver only supports the 3Dfx Banshee, Voodoo3 and Voodoo
5.
[VO_3DFX] Unable to open /dev/3dfx.
[VO_XV] It seems there is no Xvideo support for your video card available.
[VO_XV] Run 'xvinfo' to verify its Xv support and read
[VO_XV] DOCS/HTML/en/video.html#xv!
[VO_XV] See 'mplayer -vo help' for other (non-xv) video out drivers.
[VO_XV] Try -vo x11.
[vdpau] Could not open dynamic library libvdpau.so.1
Opening video decoder: [raw] RAW Uncompressed Video
VDec: vo config request - 640 x 480 (preferred colorspace: Packed YUY2)
Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vf scale...
Opening video filter: [scale]
VDec: using Packed YUY2 as output csp (no 0)
Movie-Aspect is undefined - no prescaling applied.
SwScaler: reducing / aligning filtersize 1 -> 4
    Last message repeated 1 times
SwScaler: reducing / aligning filtersize 1 -> 1
    Last message repeated 1 times
[swscaler @ 0x9e126a0]BICUBIC scaler, from yuyv422 to rgb32 using MMX2
[swscaler @ 0x9e126a0]using 4-tap MMX scaler for horizontal luminance
scaling
[swscaler @ 0x9e126a0]using 4-tap MMX scaler for horizontal chrominance
scaling
[swscaler @ 0x9e126a0]using n-tap MMX scaler for vertical scaling (BGR)
[swscaler @ 0x9e126a0]using MMX YV12->BGR32 converter
[swscaler @ 0x9e126a0]640x480 -> 640x480
VO: [x11] 640x480 => 640x480 BGRA
Shared memory not supported
Reverting to normal Xlib
Selected video codec: [rawyuy2] vfm: raw (RAW YUY2)
Audio: no sound
Starting playback...
No bind found for key 'MOUSE_BTN2'.
No bind found for key 'MOUSE_BTN0'.
v4l2: ioctl set mute failed: Invalid argument
v4l2: 464 frames successfully processed, 1144 frames dropped.

Exiting... (Quit)
gene at shop:~/src$

I'd tried a couple mouse clicks to see if there were any menu's available.

a gmplayer tv:// reported a shorter version of the above, and never cleared
the clapboard image from its screen.

The newer v4l-utils has NOT been installed, pending advice.

Thank you.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

"What's the use of a good quotation if you can't change it?"
		-- The Doctor
         law-abiding citizens.