[MPlayer-users] My cropping question revisited.

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Sep 28 23:01:35 CEST 2013

On Saturday 28 September 2013 15:51:44 houghi did opine:

> On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 03:22:58PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > That did not play either.
>
> Then there is a problem with either your browser or something else.
>
> > But when I clicked on the email link, it then claims an error
> > occurred, saying it has all the ear marks of a dropped connection.
> > Methinks the error is at shentel.net, a piracy filter of some sort.
> > If there was actually another provider available, I'd move...
>
> If shentel.net is your provider and they block it, then they are doing
> something seriously wrong. bandcamp is not a site where you download
> illegal music. It should not be filtered. bandcamp.com is not a piracy
> site. All music is legal to listen to and download as it is placed there
> by the musicians.
>
> Try another browser. And again, perhaps this is related to the original
> issue.
>
> houghi
>
> >   Artist : A-Ha
> >
> >     Song : And You Tell Me
> >
> >    Album : Hunting High And Low

Back again, I managed to hobble up the hill to the shop and plug in the
camera & leave it watching the front 'deck' of the shop building.

1. Its working with camunits-emc plugged into linuxcnc, but is 3 to 4
seconds from seeing an event in front of the camera, actually get through
the processing chain and being displayed on the computer's monitor.

I report that just to verify that the camera is working.

Now mplayer, with an eye toward using its clip/crop functions as the first
stage of all this folderol.  From a terminal session, "ssh -Y shop"
=================
gene at shop:~/linuxcnc/nc_files$ mplayer /dev/video0
MPlayer SVN-r1.0~rc3+svn20090426-4.4.3 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote
control.

Playing /dev/video0.

Exiting... (End of file)
gene at shop:~/linuxcnc/nc_files$ ls -l /dev/video*
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 81, 0 2013-09-28 14:55 /dev/video0
=================
The man page doesn't seem to have an example command line for use with a
local camera, so mplayer-gui is being installed as it may have options I
don't see quickly in the man page.

Installed, running, but its input menu's are not capable to seeing
/dev/video0, any v4l, or input selections are by-id or by-path style, and
all those lists are empty.

So it appears mplayer, at least the version shipping with *buntu 10-04.4
LTS, is not going to be viable.

Now, this is getting off topic for this list but there may be someone here
with experience to steer me to the right place.

From the error messages logged when I start linuxcnc, taking a 10 page
listing from the top, libv41convert seems to be the first semi-breakage,
quote:

Starting LinuxCNC...
Running glut init
Setting up pins for [(null)]
Xlib.protocol.request.QueryExtension
libv4lconvert: warning more framesizes then I can handle!
libv4lconvert: warning more framesizes then I can handle!

And I'll be switched if I can convince apt-get to spit out its version
number, and there are _no_ libs in /usr/lib that have a version in their
.so filenames.

I have downloaded the src tarball of v4l-utils-0.8.9 and can build/install
it, if I knew what options to feed ./configure.  Except it has no
configure...

A make PREFIX=/usr LIBDIR=/usr/lib

as me seemed to complete, and rather that foul up this machine, I am
tempted to make a lib dir in my home dir on that machine, and do a temp
install to /net/shop/home/gene/lib, (its an nfs share) then do the renames
and copying from there.

Anybody see anything wrong with that, other than apt being clueless about
the "update" ?

Then the 64 dollar question is, do I have to repeat that for mplayer in
order to have it recognize /dev/video0 as a valid input device?

Or does this have no effect on what mplayer can do?

Thanks all.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

One of the most striking differences between a cat and a lie is that a cat
has only nine lives.
         law-abiding citizens.