[MPlayer-users] ass subtitles, vo gl and amd video

Wed Sep 25 00:31:22 CEST 2013

Hi Reimar Döffinger!

 On 2013.09.24 at 23:12:55 +0200, Reimar Döffinger wrote next:

> > Here is how 1.ass looks in mplayer:
> > http://lime.hacked.jp/sub/mplayer-sub1.jpg
> > Here is how it mostly looks in mpv:
> > http://lime.hacked.jp/sub/mpv-sub1.jpg
> > except for glitch that happens sometimes:
> > http://lime.hacked.jp/sub/mpv-sub1-glitch.jpg
> >
> > As you can see, mplayer renders subtitle way too blurry. Is it really
> > supposed to be like that?
> >
> > Here is how 2.ass looks in mplayer
> > http://lime.hacked.jp/sub/mplayer-sub2.jpg
> > and mpv
> > http://lime.hacked.jp/sub/mpv-sub2.jpg
>
> I'm sorry, I am afraid I am mostly too blind/stupid to properly
> spot the differences.

Well it's pretty visible that http://lime.hacked.jp/sub/mpv-sub1.jpg has
sharp letter edges, while in http://lime.hacked.jp/sub/mplayer-sub1.jpg
blur extends inside the letters somewhat. I have no idea which one is
correct but difference is quite visible. Also mplayer has blur with
lower strength/bigger radius on outside, which is visible too but
doesn't affect readability.

I can't spot any difference between rendering of 2.ass myself.

> But I suspect I found a solution for the speed issue with -vf ass,
> maybe you could try the attached patch?

Indeed, it works. mplayer has much better performance with -vf ass (while
retaining the same blurry inside letters rendering...), but still is
"way too slow" with -vf gl.

--

Vladimir