[MPlayer-users] Making movie to jpeg

Alexander Strasser eclipse7 at gmx.net
Sun Sep 15 17:01:42 CEST 2013

On 2013-09-15 12:43 +0200, Reimar Döffinger wrote:

> >   Besides what everybody else already mentioned:
> >
> >   The above MPlayer message is *not* an error message, if that was
> >   the misunderdanding.
> >
> > > Besides issues with that specific MPlayer build, this looks like everything is working?
> > > What is the problem?
> > > I guess there might be quite some software that will have trouble opening RGB jpegs (no idea why that happens) but you should still get jpegs out.
> >
> >   Reimar, do you think we should lower that message's logging lebel to
> > verbose?
>
> I think it is a good idea to tell users where the files end up.

  I do not disagree.

> But maybe it should be reworded, e.g. to:
> Writing output images to directory "."
> The "already exists and is writable" thing is rather confusing and
> worthless information.

  To do it properly would be more involved. This is semistructured
output of a group of messages and all are translated. So just
changing the structure and content of only onw message would be
inconsistent.

  Possible solutions:

  a) Don't care. Change the one message anyway.

  b) Drop the message entirely. Output would read:
       jpeg: .
     instead of
       jpeg: . - Output directory already exists and is writable.

  c) Change all messages to something else.
     E.g.
       ERROR: Could not access output directory '/dir': permission denied
       ERROR: Could not use output directory '/dir': not a directory
       ERROR: Could not use output directory '/dir': not writable
       Using output direcory '/dir'

  d) Leave as is.

  Option d) is the fastest to implement and a) and b) should
also be easy. Option d) is too involved for me ATM. But if
someone else wants to implement it, I will probably apply.

  Alexander