[MPlayer-users] VDPAU decoding in MPlayer broken by recent FFmpeg changes

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Thu Sep 12 22:39:44 CEST 2013

On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 06:33:30PM +0000, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger <at> gmx.de> writes:
>
> > What are your reasons to want the old code back?
>
> It was tested extensively (to an amount which we
> cannot reach now) and I don't remember open bug
> reports.

Though it did have bugs, for example an aspect change
would incorrectly discard previous reference frames due
to reinitializing VDPAU.
But that is not relevant long-term, if we are the only
user of that code with nobody maintaining it it's just
not a viable long-term solution.
We've seen that well enough with the slice rendering.
And any HEVC hardware acceleration (which is certainly
going to be more important than MPEG-4 due to the decode
effort it requires) is likely to use hwaccel.
So _only_ supporting the old API is very much not a valid
long-term strategy IMHO.
Now nothing against supporting both, but
a) someone needs to implement it
b) we still need testing and bug reports to know what issues we have