[MPlayer-users] Issue with Unicode file name in the slave mode with Windows binary

wm4 nfxjfg at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 6 17:17:46 CET 2013

On Wed, 6 Mar 2013 11:15:07 +0400
Abu Abdullah <falcon.sheep at gmail.com> wrote:

> I did test the case with another 2 binaries compiled by others:
> http://code.google.com/p/mplayer-for-windows/
> http://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer-win32.php
> The same results they are not working.
> In addition, I have tested it with mplayer2 (2 binaries compiled by
> others): http://code.google.com/p/mplayer2-for-windows/
> http://mplayer2.srsfckn.biz/
> And they are working fine. so i guess there might be something in
> mplayer and not in compilation.

Microsoft and MinGW are to blame. Microsoft, because they want you
to use the non-standard Unicode API (a different set of APIs that only
accept UTF-16) and don't allow to use the standard C functions with
UTF-8. MingGW-w64 is to blame that they don't provide transparent
wrappers to treat char* as UTF-8. (Yet they compensate for other bad
aspects of the Windows libc, like LFS support or C99 printf...)

We added some extremely disgusting hacks to make it work on Windows:

More information about the MPlayer-users mailing list