[MPlayer-users] vo_sdl crash with latest svn

Walter Alejandro Iglesias eloi at roquesor.com
Tue Jun 11 23:06:48 CEST 2013

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 08:50:33PM +0200, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> It should be fixed in latest SVN.

It doesn't crash now, but it seems to fail to get the screen size correctly.
I've tried adding -geometry parameter but it didn't help.

> On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 12:27:14PM +0200, Walter Alejandro Iglesias wrote:
> > Using sdl video output and changing resolution in fullscreen crashes mplayer
> > and let my desktop in a weird resolution.
>
> I'm kind of curious why you are using SDL output.
> It kind of works really badly, even when it doesn't crash.
> And in my opinion it also crashes a lot, even disregarding this
> specific bug.

I used to run mplayer with -vo sdl in old machines with CRT monitors.  I do not
recall having problems.  To find out why it crashes now is just curiosity, I
mean if you're busy with more important issues don't waste your time with it.

> > That happens with the latest mplayer release and the latest mplayer svn
> > snapshot downloaded from mplayer site and copiled both with default
> > options.  It does NOT happen with debian binary provided version (to be
> > sure it wasn't a compile option used by Debian I've tried compiling this
> > git://anonscm.debian.org/pkg-multimedia/mplayer.git and it works like
> > debian binary, it doesn't crash).
>
> I can't imagine any other reason than pure chance.

Well then debian developers are very, very, very lucky guys :).  It's not the
first time I try to find out how they get things working to do the same with
other distributions I use.  Besides we all know part of their secret is they
are conservative at time to upgrade.

> > I've compiled the svn mplayer with --enable-debug and ran `gdb mplayer'.
> > But using gdb X crashes totally and doesn't let me do the backtrace step
> > :).
>
> I'm quite sure it doesn't crash X. It just keeps the MPlayer window in front
> of everything else, making it completely unusable.

Yes.

> The solution to this is to just start gdb + mplayer from one of the text VTs.

This is what I couldn't do.  I've searched on google to find out how to do that
without luck.  What I've found on man pages is the -display option, perhaps I
didn't used it correctly.

	Walter