[MPlayer-users] Using ffmpeg or mencoder to edit files with a edit list

houghi houghi at houghi.org
Sun Jul 14 19:49:05 CEST 2013

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 09:45:00AM -0700, James Board wrote:
> I think you miss the point of my question.  I do already know how to apply a
> lists of edits, sequentially, one by one, by calling ffmpeg for every
> single segment.  In fact, I stated that in my email, and you quoted it.
> I'm not convinced the audio will stay in sync if I do it that way.

Well, I am convinced that it does. Well, not only convinced, I KNOW that
it works and audio is kept in sync.

> What I'm looking for is a way to have all of the edits in a single
> file, with one sequence per line of the file.  The format would be
>     SegmentStart_1    SegmentEnd_1    1
>     SegmentStart_2    SegmentEnd_2   1

OK. What is the 1 at then end for? How does it look in reality?

> And then I'd like to apply them all at once to the file and output
> a single file.

What is the reason they must be done all at once? Why do you not want it
to be done in two steps? Many things in encoding are done in two steps.

> The tool mencoder does this, but Carl tells me that mencoder is no
> longer supported.  So how can I do the above?  If not with ffmpeg,
> that's okay.  What other tool can do the above?  It seems like a simple
> task.

ffmpeg is the easiest to do it in two steps. melt can do it in one. Not
sure if it will work if there are several hundred of parameters, because a
command line has (I think) a maximum line length. What you want (only show
parts of movies) is something I have done with great success with ffmpeg.
But I do it in two steps as that works.

Just a question: Are you looking for a practical solution for something
you are working on that works or are you more looking for a theoretical
solution? i.e. just looking if it is possible.

houghi
--
Dr. Walter Gibbs: Won't that be grand? Computers and the programs
will start thinking and the people will stop.