[MPlayer-users] Are mencoder lossless codecs really lossless?

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Wed Jul 10 10:25:51 CEST 2013

On 07/09/2013 09:14 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:

> Since you apparently don't know:
> MEncoder is not an actively maintained application for
> several years, please use FFmpeg (which now supports
> an inverse telecine filter that is slower but more
> accurate than pullup).

I have to admit I didn't know either.
My (wrong) idea was that ffmpeg tools were more or less a
proof-of-concept demo of the ffmpeg library and that mplayer/mencoder
were "serious" users of the library.

After a good glance at the ffmpeg man pages, it is evident these tools
have currently a ton or two of advanced and interesting features, so I'm
looking forward to switch my scripts from mencoder to ffmpeg with
good confidence to solve some tricky issues mencoder gives me.

Really thanks for your hint.

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it