[MPlayer-users] Are mencoder lossless codecs really lossless?

James Board jpboard2 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 9 14:52:14 CEST 2013

Okay, so then if I start with some specific color space, compress with the lossless codecs, and then transcode back to that same original colorspace (assuming everything else is the same too: resolution, frame-rate, etc), then the frames should be exactly the same as the original (except for maybe small round-off errors, or artifacts of that nature)?

I know that's what the name implies, but I just wanted to make sure.  The problem I had was that I grabbed a 30 second segment from a video to experiment with.  That segment started at the 10-second mark of the original video and ended at the 40-second mark.  The purpose of that was to have a small fast piece of video merely to experiment with. But somehow it looks like mencoder put the full 42 seconds in the experimental video file, and then when I translated to lossless, and back to the original format, it became the expected 30 seconds.  So I was seeing large reductions of filesize, which made me wonder if these lossless codecs really were.