[MPlayer-users] option to save cache in temporary directory instead of memory

Sezaru sezdocs at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 14:37:13 CET 2013

Yeah, in my case I need the "best of both worlds", I see the movies
the same time I'm downloading it, and sometimes I pause it to do some
other thing, and don't want it to timeout or eat all my memory.

Iǘe tried an FIFO approach:
 youtube-dl http://www.youtube.com/watch\?v\=GDE_p8ABTX8 -o - |
mplayer -cache 2000000 -
This way youtube-dl is responsible to download the movie and send to mplayer.

This works but have the exact same problem, if cache is too low it
will not continue to download it, and it is too high it will consume
all my ram.. but the interesting thing is that before who was in
charge of download the movie was mplayer, this time is youtube-dl, but
because of FIFO works, it will just download the amount mplayer
request.

With this example, what I needed was an FIFO that will buffer all the
video content in a file, but stills works like a FIFO, so youtube-dl
would download all the video to it, and mplayer would recognize it as
stream and not close thinking it was a partial file.