[MPlayer-users] option to save cache in temporary directory instead of memory

Sezaru sezdocs at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 11:03:51 CET 2013

Hello guys,

I've using mplayer with the cache option to an absurd number (2000000
to be exact), the reason is that I normally stream some videos and
like to pause it in the middle, but if I do that when I resume it the
server will timeout me and mplayer will be unable to continue the
stream.

To fix that I've put that value to cache so even if I pause it, it
stills continue downloading the rest of the video to the memory until
it's finished.

The problem is that all the video is stored in the RAM, if I try to
load a video of 2 or more hours, mplayer will consume all my RAM and
swap and make all the computer super slow.

So, I think that the best solution would be to simply store the video
stream file in an temporary directory (/tmp ?) instead of the RAM and
load the only the necessary part from it at a time (like it would
normally with a default cache value).

But I didn't found an option to do just that, is that possible? If
not, is hard to implement or something planned to an future release?

Thanks a lot for the help!