[MPlayer-users] Turning GNOME MPlayer into a normal one

Sun Feb 24 12:01:36 CET 2013

Hi Reimar Döffinger!

 On 2013.02.23 at 20:02:38 +0100, Reimar Döffinger wrote next:

> > I'm not sure about bug report - I'll check this in the future, I just
> > workaround this bug by using mplayer2.
> > Basically, as of late some fansubber groups encode anime such way so
> > it's unplayable by mplayer. It outputs something like
>
> No, you blame the wrong people. These are perfectly fine.
> I am just trying to be clever and get some extra speed and broke things
> in the process.
>
> > [VD_FFMPEG] Сбой DRI.
>
> When you see this line for H.264 you know I've been trying
> this too-clever optimization again.
> It's been fixed again since a few weeks though...

What? DRI Failure? Well, I always get that message for H.264; nearly all
files work despite that message, only some fail.

Anyhow I can confirm that this issue is gone in latest r35923. Thanks!

Btw, I wonder if you know about current state of radeon 7xxx cards in
Linux (with open source driver). Namely, if their driver + GL stack
works fine in mplayer. Recently released Mesa 9.1 mentions that
"Gallium3D driver for RadeonSI on Radeon HD 7000 (Southern Islands) is
more stable and has enough functionality to run composite managers and
most OpenGL games"
I'm thinking of changing video card to that series, mainly for
energy-reducing purposes - current one heats up things around it too
much. I figured that latest series are usually best power-wise, but
there was problem with opensource driver support for both radeon and
nvidia cards; looks like things are better right now and I can finally
do the change.
Radeon 7xxx series seems to be best option because nouveau driver seems
to be in more sorry state and integrated Intel video card doesn't
support required monitor resolution. I'm not considering close-source
driver mess an option (I got twice into situations where I had to lock
kernel updates for about a year because of problems with closed-source
driver support, and this resulted in other problems).

So,  do you know if it works with all the features and without
performance problems for -vo gl output? I thought that maybe you've
tried that already or heard of others' experience.

--

Vladimir