[MPlayer-users] Turning GNOME MPlayer into a normal one

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sat Feb 23 20:02:38 CET 2013

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 05:12:10PM +0400, Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:
> Hi Carl Eugen Hoyos!
>
>  On 2013.02.22 at 11:01:41 +0000, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote next:
>
> > > Err the thing is, I don't really care about gnome-mplayer.
> > > I'm fine with not installing it at all. The problem is
> > > that I can't understand why normal "mplayer" gets
> > > "GNOME MPlayer" name no matter what
> >
> > This is hard to understand (I don't get this "name"),
> > please elaborate / add complete, uncut console output.
>
> I mentioned it in original name - in gnome-shell, you can see
> application name in top bar; I don't really know how explain, here is
> some random screenshot:
> http://intgat.tigress.co.uk/rmy/extensions/Screenshot.png
> As you can see, terminal has custom title, but is called "Terminal" with
> proper icon in the top bar.
> Well, whenever my custom-compiled mplayer is running, it displays
> "GNOME MPlayer" there with gnome-mplayer icon.
> The way gnome-shell sets this name is explained here:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9324163/how-to-set-application-title-in-gnome-shell

I think what happens is that gnome-shell tries to be clever.
They decided that the "mplayer" process "usually" is launched part
of GNOME-MPlayer and thus decided to give it that name.
At least that is the only sensible explanation I can give, we
certainly have nothing to do with it.

> > Please point me to the relevant bug report, this
> > sounds interesting.
>
> I'm not sure about bug report - I'll check this in the future, I just
> workaround this bug by using mplayer2.
> Basically, as of late some fansubber groups encode anime such way so
> it's unplayable by mplayer. It outputs something like

No, you blame the wrong people. These are perfectly fine.
I am just trying to be clever and get some extra speed and broke things
in the process.

> [VD_FFMPEG] Сбой DRI.

When you see this line for H.264 you know I've been trying
this too-clever optimization again.
It's been fixed again since a few weeks though...