[MPlayer-users] Turning GNOME MPlayer into a normal one

Fri Feb 22 11:38:10 CET 2013

Hi Carl Eugen Hoyos!

 On 2013.02.22 at 09:38:20 +0000, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote next:

> > I only want gnome-mplayer application (which I don't
> > use anyway) to have that name.
>
> Please tell gnome-mplayer developers, but please
> understand that we (MPlayer developers) are not
> entirely happy if other projects (like "mplayer2"
> and gnome-mplayer) use "mplayer" to describe their
> software.

Err the thing is, I don't really care about gnome-mplayer. I'm fine with
not installing it at all. The problem is that I can't understand why
normal "mplayer" gets "GNOME MPlayer" name no matter what, even with
gnome-mplayer uninstalled. It would be a bit strange to contact its
developers if the problem occurs even when I'm not using their
application.

As for mplayer2, I do need it because it plays more files than normal
mplayer, and while I'm not entirely happy either that it calls its
binary "mplayer", it's not a big deal - I just rename it. But it always
gets "mplayer2" application name.

It's more like gnome issue; how and where it gets these names for
applications and why it always converts "mplayer" to "GNOME MPlayer". I
just wondered if someone on this list knows why it happens and solution.

--

Vladimir